Saturday, February 18, 2012

A word for weary people...



"For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish." Jeremiah 31:25

Jeremiah wrote this for the day when the people of Israel would return from captivity. This is what God is saying to them. Jeremiah wants to encourage them on that day. 

The people are weary and tired and when people are weary they can start to look for relief in something else, to find something else that satisfies other than God. Are you weary today? Have you been weary for awhile? Are you losing patience and starting to seek satisfaction apart from Christ? Here is what God has promised you: "I will satisfy you, weary child of mine. Humble yourself before me, trust in me, and in due time I will exalt you. I alone can satisfy you. Cast your cares on me. I care for you. Don't go anywhere else. Come to me. I alone can satisfy."

The people were languishing, meaning, they were being slowly worn down by grief and sorrow. Their strength was draining away and they were losing hope. How long, O Lord, how long? When will you turn to us again? When can we expect favor from you? You can hear this plea in the Psalms that were written about the Exile. Is this you? Are you sorrowful; is there grief? "Oh, when will it end?" Is that your cry? Is your marriage or your parenting or your sin struggle or illness or some other thing sapping your spiritual vitality? Let's get to the point: Do you wish you were dead? Here is what God promises you. "I will replenish. Yes, I will renew your strength and I will renew your hope. I will not abandon you. Trust in me." 

Do you remember Jesus in the Garden? He threw Himself on the ground in agony as He thought ahead to the terrors of the Cross. He wept great tears and was being carried away by excessive sorrow. Blood was mixed with His perspiration as He cried out to His Father for relief. His Father sent angels to comfort and strengthen Him. He went to the darkest hour in history alone, trusting in His Father. 

The Father abandoned His Son in that hour. How does that help you? Here is how. 

Jesus was abandoned by the Father, so that you will never be abandoned by the Father. 

He was abandoned to rise again. His trust was not in vain because the One in whom He trusted is completely trustworthy. He rose victorious. For us.

He bore our sins in His body; He carried our sorrows and our griefs to the Cross; He was a man of sorrow and acquainted with grief. He knows all about your languishings and weariness. He bore all of your sins in His body so that we would die to sin and live for righteousness. Therefore, be humble before God and look to Christ, the Man of Sorrows, the triumphant and risen Savior.

There is a corollary New Testament passage that you may be familiar with. It goes like this:

"Come unto me, you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, AND YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. My yoke is easy and my burden light."

He satisfies the weary, those who carry great burdens. He replenishes the sorrowful. He gives rest.

Behold our God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment